Are you ready to make a profound difference in the lives of thousands of animals and the people that love them every year? Do you have maintenance, plumbing and electrical maintenance experience? Are you efficient at custodial and janitorial tasks?
If so, Animal Friends of the Valleys (AFV) is looking for a proactive, project-management experienced, results-driven Clinic Facility Manager to join our mission-oriented, non-profit Team!
For over 30 years, AFV has been helping animals in need, and we now support our local communities of Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, Menifee and parts of Riverside County. We provide a safe haven for all animals and provide them quality and affordable care, including foster programs and adoptions.
- Responsible for providing effective and proper routine and preventative maintenance and repair for efficient operation of the AFV facilities including heating, refrigeration, cooling, sanitation systems, vehicles, appliances, laundry equipment and security/alarm systems.
- Assesses and considers daily 1) the safety of our employees, 2) the security of our assets and 3) the service to our customers.
- Promotes satisfactory relationships with and supervise outside contractors and vendors executing the maintenance of the AFV grounds, buildings, equipment and vehicles.
- Prepares and submits proposals and facility recommendations to the Clinic Manager per approved guidelines.
- Performs maintenance and repair work, or arranges for such work to be completed as needed to ensure buildings, appliances and clinic areas are safe to employees, public and the animals.
- Ensures maintenance supplies and parts are on hand so that repairs can be made within budget and in a timely manner.
- Oversees and maintains the overall appearance and functionality of the premises.
- Provides necessary training for staff and volunteers to ensure proper operation and usage of the organization’s facilities.
- Coordinates storage of all clinic supplies.
- Orders clinic materials and supplies and maintains a working-level inventory.
- Completes daily, weekly, monthly checklists as indicated
- Maintains supply inventory and communicates with DCO when supplies are needed
Cleaning and Custodial Duties:
- Cleaning, sanitizing and maintaining restrooms
- Dusting rooms, including fixtures and furniture
- Vacuum and mop floors and vacuum carpets
- Empty and wash garbage bins
- Recycling procedures
- Cleaning, sterilizing and creating surgical instrument packs
- Cleaning, sterilizing and preparing animal cages
- Ensures work stations are kept clean and in working order
- Grounds keeping as needed, including but not limited to raking, trimming / cutting, weeding, basic plant / foliage care, sweeping walkways,
- Independently inspecting customer waiting areas for presentability and cleaning / correcting deficiencies as necessary
- Report facility damage, non-functioning equipment, and wear and tear to Clinic Manager
- Perform minor maintenance repairs as needed
- Adheres to organizational guidelines and policies for cleaning, disinfection and disease control
- Oversees the set-up and tear-down of special events as needed and storage of equipment.
- Travels to offsite locations based on the needs of the organization.
- Maintains suitable employer/employee relations within the organization.
- Interviews applicants/ contractors in areas of responsibility as needed.
- On-call for building emergencies.
- Works reliably and independently with consistent feedback on status of current projects.
- Transport animals between facilities as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years of experience in facilities maintenance
- Kennel/animal/janitorial/custodial experience preferred
- 2+ years of experience in basic plumbing, electrical and air conditioning / HVAC systems maintenance preferred
- Proactive, positive, ‘recycle, reuse and repurpose’ attitude
- Valid California “C” driver’s license with good driving record
- Strong Customer Service
- Prior Supervisory Skills
- Basic Mathematical Skills
In Addition to Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- Various breeds of dogs, cats, marine and other wild or domestic animals.
- Various types of animal behavior.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Building maintenance and grounds care experience.
- Computer skills required including Word, Excel, email, and all other forms of electronic communication.
- Project management experience.
- Dealing with public and strong customer service.
- Occupational hazard and standard safety practices necessary in the area of animal service and general facilities maintenance.
- Basic principles and procedures of record-keeping.
- General principles of risk management related to the functions of the assigned area.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service to the public and staff, in person and over the phone.
- Work effectively with others, as coordination with multiple departments within the organization is frequently required.
- Work effectively in stressful situations.
- Exercise good judgement and make sound decisions
- Prepare and maintaining accurate and complete records and files.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Prioritize tasks and complete them with little / no supervision
- Plan, prepare and complete projects in a timely manner
- Properly and safely sterilize, inventory, package and prepare surgical instrument packs
- Meet and deal tactfully and effectively with volunteers and the public.
- Able to communicate effectively both written and oral.
- Operate overhead paging system
- Operate basic multiline phone system.
- Establish and maintaining effective working relationships with employees and those contacted in the course of work.
Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform heavy physical work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to potentially hazardous conditions, use varied hand and power tools, drive a motor vehicle and/or heavy construction equipment; lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 90 pounds and heavier weights with the use of proper equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio. Must be available for regular standby assignments and work scheduled off-hours and emergency overtime as required. You must be willing to work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to traffic and potentially hazardous conditions.
- Stooping (bend at waist)
- All above done for prolonged periods of time.
- Lifting up to 50lbs.with or without assistance
- Lifting over 50lbs. with or without assistance
- Exposure to extreme heat: Temp above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour
- Exposure to hazardous materials in accordance to Prop 65.
- Hand/finger dexterity
- Repetitive Motions
- Duties will be performed in animal clinic / shelter environment, where you might be exposed to animal odors, diseases, possible contagious conditions, bites, scratches and moderate noise level.
- Prolonged Exposure to various aqueous solutions including, but not limited to, dish soap, chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide.
- Potential exposure to isoflurane gas.
- Potential exposure to sharps including needles and surgical blades.
- Per AFV dress code policy.
- May be required to work on evenings, weekends and holidays and on call as emergencies arise.
Not a supervisory position.