Come join a team of dedicated professionals on a mission to provide the best care possible for hundreds of animals that need to find their forever homes with people looking for the perfect companion! At Animal Friends of the Valleys (AFV), you can make a profound impact on the lives of both animals in need and the people that love them!
Summary of Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Client Services Supervisor and Executive Director, the Client Service Representative is responsible for assisting with animal intake and receiving procedures at AFV which includes entering animal and customer data into the Shelter Pro system, counseling owners on alternatives to surrendering their pets, assisting with financial data and reporting, processing monetary transactions, keeping precise records and providing courteous and professional customer service both personally and via telephone, and maintaining a daily animal count (census) as well as donation records.
- Provides professional service to customers, visitors and volunteers while promoting and educating the public on the organization’s mission, services, programs and activities.
- Works with potential adopters in a professional and courteous fashion; assist them with completing adoption forms.
- Assist with the intake process (i.e., surrenders, strays and owner-requested euthanasia); discusses intake procedure with the customer and assists customer with filling out forms; provides pet owners with possible alternatives to surrendering their pets to the animal shelter; arranges cages and takes animals where they need to go.
- Understands and supports the company’s euthanasia policies and procedures
- Answers phones promptly and professionally; handles general questions from customers and the public on the phone or in-person.
- Directs visitors and customers to the appropriate areas of the facility
- Provides compassion and memorial options to customers who request euthanasia of their beloved pets.
- Provides information and education via return email to inquiries concerning shelter and animal policies.
- Models and encourages the humane treatment of animals.
- Accepts and acknowledges the receipt of donations and gifts from members of the public and other organizations.
- Works cooperatively with other shelters, rescue groups and members of their organizations.
- Represents the organization is a positive manner by maintaining a professional appearance.
- Completes accurate and expedient data entry for all animal intakes and outcomes and provides the Receiving staff with all required documentation.
- Maintains neat and organized files related to animal information and outcomes.
- Updates animal profiles and memos routinely and accurately to provide the best possible information for receiving staff.
- Responsible for assisting with incoming financial transactions.
- Responsible for assisting with daily closing and balancing of cash drawer
- Responsible for documentation and review of all financial transactions
- Ensures that the Receiving Office, work stations and equipment are kept clean, organized, and in working order.
- Restocks supplies as needed.
- Accepts responsibility for overall facility care by removing trash and debris throughout the facility as noticed.
- Adheres to organizational guidelines and policies for cleaning, disinfection and disease control.
- Adheres to organizational policies regarding animal care.
- Reports all health and behavior concerns to the Shelter Management or proper personnel.
- Follows all organizational safety guidelines.
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education
- Valid Class “C” driver’s license
- High School or GED
- Clerical office experience which include customer service and bookkeeping, accounting or a closely related field preferred
- Strong computer knowledge of database programs
In Addition to Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- AFV policy and procedures
- Animal breeds and behavior is helpful.
- Geographical area
- Office equipment
- Strong computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment is preferred.
- Adoption/redemption procedures
- Office supplies
- Appropriate forms
- Organizational structures
- Read and write English
- Speak read and write Spanish is preferred,
- Operate office equipment
- Read a map
- Follow written/oral instructions
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Operate calculator
- Basic mathematical
- Use a Computer
- Use a Telephone
- Have Clerical Skills
- Have Analytical Skills
- Commit to the mission, values, goals and successes of AFV
- Highly motivated, outgoing, polite and professional manner
- Team player, able to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Compassion for animals, comfortable working with and around animals in the shelter environment and willing to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Communicate effectively, strong interpersonal skills and adaptability
Primarily in an office environment, however must be patient and tolerant of loud environments (barking), humidity, dog waste, odor and hair. Will have possible daily use of protective clothing and equipment. Physical effort is required to lift/carry animals and/or equipment of 50 lbs. or more with assistance. Exposed to potentially sick and dangerous animals. Use of protective equipment at times. Exposure to zoonotic diseases. Subject to possibility for animal bites and scratches.
- Sitting at a computer workstation up to eight hours.
- Lift/drag/carry 50 lbs.
- Lift/ drag /carry above 50lbs., with a buddy.
- Stand for long periods
- Per AFV dress code policy. Smock is provided.
- Available to accommodate a flexible work schedule including weekends, evening and some holidays.
This is a non-supervisory role.
If you have superb customer experience skills, a strong work ethic, love animals and enjoy helping people, this is the job for you!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $14.00 /hour