Please note: Only CA state Licensed, Registered Veterinary Technicians will be considered
Are you ready to make a profound difference in the lives of thousands of animals and the people that love them every year? Do you want to fully use your veterinary and medical training and continue to learn more about your career? Are you a licensed Registered Veterinary Technician who has at least 6 months of experience in an Animal Hospital, Clinic, or Shelter environment?
If so, Animal Friends of the Valleys (AFV) is looking for a rock star Registered Veterinary Technician to join our amazing non-profit Team!
For over 30 years, AFV has been helping animals in need, and we now support our local communities of Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, Menifee and parts of Riverside County. We provide a safe haven for all animals and provide them quality and affordable care.
Summary of Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Director of Animal Care / Chief Veterinary Surgeon, this position performs specialized technical work and provides medical care, humane care, and treatment to animals in the AFV Shelter & Spay/Neuter Clinic. This position may work with and assist with medical procedures, surgeries and day-to-day operations of the kennels.
- Reviews charts, administers patient medications, collects vital statistics and assists during examinations
- Processes all animals within 24 hours
- Obtains and records patient case and medical history
- Updates animal health notes on a daily basis
- Cares for, feeds, monitors, medicates, and performs minor treatment of animals
- Reports observed health or behavior issues to the Director of Animal Care/Chief Veterinary Surgeon
- Draws blood and performs diagnostic testing including, but not limited to, fecal testing, mange testing, heart-worm testing, and feline leukemia testing
- Maintains database by entering accurate information of the animals in our care
- Performs euthanasia after successful completion required certification course
- Ensures proper handling and care of veterinary supplies such as, but not limited to, vaccines, testing supplies, and medications
- Ensures proper labeling and dating of medications; maintains an accurate inventory of all medications in stock and advises the Director of Animal Care/Chief Veterinary Surgeon when supply is low
- Uses proper animal handling
- Implants microchips on animals
- Anesthetic induction and intubation of animals undergoing surgeries
- Maintains assigned equipment and supplies and reports any problems or needed repairs to the Director of Animal Care/Chief Veterinary Surgeon
- Responsible for restricted holding and examination rooms to include cleaning, stocking supplies, and maintaining an overall pleasant atmosphere
- Counsels owners or adopters on their animal’s health, behavior evaluations, and medical history
- Represents AFV by providing excellent customer service, patient care, and focus
- Protects the confidential information on customers and donors
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- Valid California Class “C” driver’s license
- A valid Registered Veterinary Technician license issued by the State of California Veterinary Medical Board.
- Possession or be able to possess a certificate for euthanasia within 3 months of hire date
- Handle animals properly and perform work in a humane manner
- Work effectively in stressful situations
- Recognize symptoms of rabies and other common diseases and injuries in animals
- Keep accurate records of treatment
- Learn specialized computer applications
- Exercise independent judgement
- Communicate clearly and proficiently both orally and in writing at a level necessary to perform the responsibilities and duties of the position
- Maintain effective working relationships with Shelter staff, volunteers and clients
- Learn and quickly adapt to changes to programs and procedures
Duties will be performed in animal shelter environment, where you might be exposed to animal odors, diseases, possible contagious conditions, bites, scratches and moderate noise level.
Physical Conditions: Position is regularly required to use or be able to handle:
- Handles objects
- Stand for long periods of time
- Walk for long periods of time
- Sit for long periods of time
- Reach with hands and arms
- Lift items up to 50lbs unassisted
- Lift items up to 75lbs with assistance
- May be exposed to animal odors or airborne particles
- Exposure to hazardous materials in accordance to Prop 65
Medical Scrubs and non-slip shoes (sneakers)
Subject to irregular work shifts including evening, weekend and holiday shift assignments.
Direct Reports: This is a non-supervisory role.
Job Type: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $18.00 - $20.00 per hour (DOE)
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Savings
- Employee Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Sick Time
- CA RVT license (Required)
Make an immediate, positive impact and change the lives of thousands of animals, and the people that love them!