Animal Friends of the Valleys (AFV) is looking for an experienced Bookkeeper to join our amazing Organization!
For over 30 years, AFV has been helping animals in need, and we now support our local communities of Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, Menifee and parts of Riverside County. We provide a safe haven for all animals and provide them quality and affordable care.
Summary of Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director, the Bookkeeper is responsible for compliance by maintaining accurate books on accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and daily financial entries and reconciliations. The Bookkeeper will perform daily accounting tasks including processing monetary transactions, provide courteous and professional customer service both personally and via telephone, and maintain a daily animal count (census) as well as donation records.
- Provides professional service to customers, visitors and volunteers while promoting and educating the public on the organization’s mission, services, programs and activities.
- Answers phones promptly and professionally; handles general questions from customers and the public on the phone or in-person.
- Models and encourages the humane treatment of animals.
- Works cooperatively with other shelters, rescue groups and members of their organizations.
- Represents the organization in a positive manner by maintaining a professional appearance.
- Maintains neat and organized files related to animal information and outcomes.
Accounts Payable and Receivables:
- Pays invoices by verifying transaction information; obtaining authorization of payment; preparing for payment; distribution of payments.
- Obtains revenue by verifying transaction information; computing charges and refunds; preparing and mailing invoices; identifying delinquent accounts and insufficient payments.
- Collects revenue by reminding delinquent accounts; notifying customers of insufficient payments.
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
- Escheatment of outstanding checks / credits.
- Secures financial information by completing data base backups.
- Maintains financial historical records by filing accounting documents.
- Sends NSF checks to D.A.
- Sends monthly report to Executive Director and Bookkeeping firm for all NSF
Inventory and Purchasing Management:
- Reviews purchase requisitions/orders as required.
- Oversees purchase requisitions/orders.
- Oversees inventory levels and reconcile physical inventories with records.
- Assures that all ordering is done for both AFV Shelter and Clinic(s).
- Matches purchase requisitions/orders with invoices and forward to accountant for payment processing.
- Prepares and maintain purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to determine supply needs, quality, and delivery requirement with approval of Executive Director.
- Develops and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Maintains certificate of insurance and contract file for clinic and AFV shelter facilities.
- Maintains certificate of insurance for all situations related to AFV and its entities.
- Maintains insurance for all vehicles and drivers .
- Ensures that all premiums are paid and kept up to date.
- Responsible for assisting with incoming financial transactions.
- Responsible for assisting with daily closing and balancing of cash drawer.
- Responsible for documentation and review of all financial transactions.
- Prepares daily reconciliation from multiple employees for Shelter Pro.
- Receives and receipts incoming money from officers and appropriate staff.
- Ensures that the receiving office, work stations and equipment are kept clean, organized, and in working order.
- Restocks supplies as needed.
- Accepts responsibility for facility care by removing trash and debris throughout the facility as noticed.
- Adheres to organizational guidelines and policies for cleaning, disinfection and disease control.
- Adheres to organizational policies regarding animal care.
- Reports all health and behavior concerns to the shelter management or proper personnel.
- Follows all organizational safety guidelines.
- Submits quarterly reports to the Executive Director for the Board of Directors and ensures data is accurate and current (schedule for report deadline is set annually).
- Approves reports for accuracy before submitting them to the Executive Director.
- Establishes, maintains and fosters positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted on the course of work.
Performs other duties as assigned.
The following core competencies have been deemed essential to performing at a high level at AFV. They will be measured during the introductory period and beyond to measure growth and aid in determining succession planning.
Job Knowledge - While this is considered a mid-entry level position, standard operating procedures, training checklist(s) and mentorship are provided along with performance evaluations during the introductory period and beyond to measure growth in job knowledge. A strong foundation is key to growth.
Customer service, interpersonal skills, oral and written communication and teamwork are all essential interpersonal skills required for this position.
Organizational support and strong ethics are critical to success and growth.
To be a successful Bookkeeper at Animal Friends of the Valleys the following traits are deemed essential:
- Quality of work
- Quantity of work
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education
- Valid California Class “C” driver’s license
- High School diploma or General Education Development (GED) completion
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) is a plus
- Previous bookkeeping experience preferred
- Previous payroll experience preferred
- Clerical office experience which includes customer service and bookkeeping, accounting or a closely related field preferred
- Strong computer knowledge of database programs
In Addition to Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- AFV policies and procedures
- Animal breeds and behavior is helpful
- Geographical area
- Office equipment
- Strong computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment is preferred.
- Adoption/redemption procedures
- Office supplies
- Appropriate forms
- Organizational structures
Skills and Abilities:
- Read and write English
- Speak, read and write Spanish is a plus
- Operate office equipment
- Follow written/oral instructions
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Operate calculator
- Perform basic mathematical computations
- Use a computer
- Use a telephone
- Have clerical skills
- Have analytical skills
- Commit to the mission, vision, core values, and goals of AFV
- Highly motivated, outgoing, polite and professional manner
- Team player, able to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Compassion for animals, comfortable working with and around animals in the shelter environment and willing to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Communicate effectively, strong interpersonal skills and adaptability
Primarily in an office environment, however must be patient and tolerant of loud environments (barking), humidity, dog waste, pet odor and hair/dander. Will have possible daily use of protective clothing and equipment. Physical effort is required to lift/carry animals and/or equipment of 50 lbs. or more with assistance. Exposed to potentially sick and dangerous animals. Use of protective equipment at times. Exposure to zoonotic diseases. Subject to possibility for animal bites and scratches.
- Sitting at a computer workstation up to 8 hours.
- Lift/drag/carry 50 lbs.
- Lift/ drag /carry above 50lbs., with a buddy.
- Stand for long periods
- Per AFV Dress Code Policy.
- Available to accommodate a flexible work schedule including weekends, evening and some holidays.
This is a non-supervisory role.