Animal Friends of the Valleys is looking for a highly motivated professional with advertising and marketing experience, complimented by technical expertise in social media.
Summary of Duties:
Under general supervision of the Executive Director, this position will engage in the research, planning, implementation and evaluation of all marketing and outreach activities necessary to build awareness of AFV’s mission, vision, values, programs, services and achievements. The Community Engagement Manager is responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing implementation of tactics including, but not limited to advertising, marketing, public relations, and providing consistent messaging tools. Other duties as assigned.
- Provides extraordinary service to customers, visitors, and volunteers while promoting and delivering the public message on the organization’s mission, services, programs and activities.
- Works closely with other AFV teams.
- Establishes and maintains media and advertising relationships, including but not limited to: radio, television, print, and internet publications and outlets.
- Works with Executive Director, Deputy Director and others in the planning and execution of adoption programs/national campaigns/promotions, etc.
- Collaborates with AFV Directors to ensure consistent branding and messaging for AFV.
- Represents organization at community events as needed.
- Ensures relevant inquiries are responded to in a timely and professional fashion.
- Works with Events Manager identifying outreach/engagement activities that ensure high visibility, brand recognition and regular exposure of AFV in the community.
- Develops, coordinates, maintains and implements strategic and annual community relations/marketing/communication plans in addition to event-specific marketing plans and ensuring increased visibility and consistent branding for all things AFV with public, donors, clients, volunteers, etc.
- Oversees development and production of all written print and electronic collateral and marketing communications pieces for both AFV and media partners, included but not limited to: AFV website, e-newsletter, print newsletter, flyers, advertising, brochures and social media outlet postings.
- Updates marketing calendar/posting schedule as determined by needs of organization.
- Analyzes KPIs and ROI for debriefing team.
- Manages all social media, website, donor appeals.
- Prepares timely operational reports, including a detailed campaign summary as well as annual report and monthly Board Report.
- Recommends appeal/campaign timelines to maximize ROI.
- Maintains files on all marketing/advertising platforms.
- Proactively researches appropriate trends and tools and proposes new concepts.
- Creates presentations and other marketing pieces.
- Negotiates prices with vendors on supplies and services for events and seeks pro bono services and materials from new and existing businesses whenever possible.
- Continuously seeks to develop new marketing concepts to ensure long-term and immediate exposure for the organization.
- Proposes budget for review and approval by the Executive Director and Board of Directors as needed.
- Continually monitors revenue and expenses in relation to the budget
- Ensures work station and equipment are kept clean, organized and in working order.
- Reports any damaged equipment or malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintains inventory of marketing supplies and orders as needed.
- Adheres to organizational policies regarding animal care.
- Reports all health and behavior concerns to Director of Animal Care or other designated personnel.
- Well-versed on operational processes, including animal care.
- Follow all organizational safety guidelines.
The following Core Competencies have been deemed essential to performing at a high level at AFV. They will be measured during the Introductory Period and beyond to measure growth and aid in determining succession planning.
- Job Knowledge –Well-versed in social media best practices and trending practices is a crucial foundation for success in this position. A Standard Operating Procedures guide will need to be drafted for this position.
- Technical Skills – This position will be the resident expert in all things public relations and marketing, including social media. Word Press knowledge is critical as it is our website platform.
- Analytical Skills – With such a widespread training platform, this position is likely to be the most adept at translating operational issues into solutions to provide workflows and procedure options for further team evaluation.
- Problem Solving Skills – Analytical skills work in conjunction with identifying alternate solutions to current problems.
- Design – Uses feedback to modify designs/plans in conjunction with feedback.
- Project Management – This position works independently and then communicates plans, changes and progress with team activities (such as Development Campaigns, Events, etc.)
Customer service, interpersonal skills, oral and written communication and teamwork are all essential interpersonal skills required for this position.
Leadership is an essential component at this level within the organization and will include the following traits:
- Matches responsibility to ability.
- Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Provides recognition for results.
- Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Effectively influences actions and opinions of others.
- Accepts feedback from others.
- Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Business Acumen-understands business implications of decisions, displays orientation to profitability, demonstrates knowledge of market & competition, and aligns work with strategic goals.
- Organizational support
- Cost consciousness
- Strategic thinking
To be successful as a Community Engagement Manager at Animal Friends of the Valleys the following traits are deemed essential:
- Sound judgment (based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices)
- Quality of work
- Quantity of work
- Produces and oversees all marketing materials (letters, invitations, posters, flyers, etc.).
- Organizes and completes mailers.
- Orchestrates and executes marketing and related outreach.
- Submits quarterly reports to the Executive Director for presentation to Board of Directors.
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field.
- 2 (Two) plus years’ experience in sales, marketing, advertising, corporate development or fundraising or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience using MS Office suite, with fluency in Word and Excel as well as Word Press.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred but not required.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Possession of a valid California Class “C” driver’s license, must be insurable to drive a personal or company vehicle.
- Demonstrated command of all social media technology and operation.
- Strong Verbal and Written communication skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
In Addition to Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- AFV policies and protocols.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize effectively.
- Goal setting and budget management.
- Ability to accurate work with detailed information in paper and electronic format.
Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of AFV.
- Ability to travel throughout AFV’s territory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary.
- Confident public speaker with the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with diverse audiences in both oral and written formats.
- Represent AFV in a professional manner in all situations with the public, volunteers and staff.
- Develop and implement new initiatives and consistent messaging.
- Ability to relate well with all ages; strong interpersonal relationship and alliance building skills.
- Be patient, courteous and work well under stressful conditions.
- Superior flexibility and adaptability, strong work ethic; demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter, able to initiate and complete tasks, and to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Comfortable working in the shelter environment.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Work is performed in office, outdoor, animal shelter various locations.
- Stooping (bend at waist)
- Lifting up to 50lbs.with or without assistance
- Exposure to hazardous materials in accordance to Prop 65.
- Hand/finger dexterity
- Repetitive Motions
- In accordance with AFV dress code policy, business attire where appropriate.
- Available to accommodate a flexible work schedule that may include weekends, evenings, and some holidays.
Receives general supervision by the Executive Director. Works closely with the Director of Development and Events Manager.