Animal Friends of the Valley is looking for a highly organized, driven and energetic professional to help us reach out to the community by planning, managing and leading fundraisers, auctions and other public events. This is an amazing opportunity to make a significant impact with internal and external clients, the public, donors, and of course, the animals we care for.
Summary of Duties:
Under general supervision of the Executive Director, this position plans, develops, implements and oversees all AFV events, including fundraising activities, virtual events, humane education, adoption events and other community events. This role requires the orchestration and hands–on involvement in all event fundraising and event activities; development and management of event committees and event volunteers; development of corporate and business relationships along with the solicitations of monetary and in-kind support for sponsorships, auctions, fundraising activities, event marketing and outreach. This position may also be responsible for soliciting sponsors, advertising, selling tickets, coordinating volunteers, covering the logistics of the event and most importantly generating revenue.
- Provides extraordinary service to customers, visitors, and volunteers while promoting and educating the public on the organization’s mission, services, programs and activities.
- Works closely with other AFV teams
- Represents organization at community events, seeking advantageous partnerships with community businesses, vendors and individuals.
- Coordinate/train event volunteers.
- Creates Event Plan for each event as needed.
- Maintains sponsor information database in conjunction with each event.
- Maintains fundraising events calendar.
- Analyzes KPIs and ROI for debriefing team.
- Prepares timely operational reports, including a detailed event summary as well as annual report and monthly Board Report.
- Enter donor data into Constant Contact as indicated.
- Directs event timelines and associated staff and volunteer activities to insure all elements of the event are delivered on time and in quality fashion.
- Helps develop, coordinate, maintain and implement the annual fundraising plan in accordance to budgeted goals; assists with tracking revenue, expenses and budgeted forecast for all events (including hours spent on each event).
- Maintains event equipment inventory and recommends replacement items, new items.
- Negotiates prices with vendors on supplies and services for events and seeks pro bono services and materials from new and existing businesses whenever possible.
- Continuously seeks to develop new projects and fundraising concepts to ensure long-term and immediate fundraising for the organization.
- Proposes budget for review and approval by the Executive Director and Board of Directors as needed.
- Continually monitors revenue and expenses in relation to the budget
- Ensures work station and equipment are kept clean, organized and in working order.
- Reports any damaged equipment or malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintains and ensures organization of event equipment/supplies.
- Adheres to organizational policies regarding animal care.
- Reports all health and behavior concerns to Director of Animal Care or other designated personnel.
- Ensures proper animal care supplies are included in event logistics.
- Minimizes animal stress, up to and including returning an animal to the shelter if needed.
- Follow all organizational safety guidelines.
- Works with Facilities Manager to ensure proper load management with vehicles.
The following Core Competencies have been deemed essential to performing at a high level at AFV. They will be measured during the Introductory Period and beyond to measure growth and aid in determining succession planning.
- Job Knowledge – Well-versed in Best Practices and trending practices is a crucial foundation for success in this position. A Standard Operating Procedures guide will need to be drafted for this position.
- Technical Skills – This position will be the resident expert in all things events.
- Analytical Skills –This individual in this position needs to be adept at translating event-related issues into solutions and provide workflows and procedure options for further event evaluation.
- Problem Solving Skills – Analytical skills work in conjunction with identifying alternate solutions to current problems.
- Design – Uses feedback to modify designs/plans in conjunction with event plan.
- Project Management – This position works independently and then communicates plans, changes and progress with team activities in conjunction with the events.
Customer service, interpersonal skills, oral and written communication and teamwork are all essential interpersonal skills required for this position.
Leadership is an essential component at this level within the organization and will include the following traits:
- Matches responsibility to ability.
- Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Provides recognition for results.
- Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Effectively influences actions and opinions of others.
- Accepts feedback from others.
- Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Business Acumen-understands business implications of decisions, displays orientation to profitability, demonstrates knowledge of market & competition, and aligns work with strategic goals.
- Organizational support
- Cost consciousness
- Strategic thinking
To be successful as an Events Manager at Animal Friends of the Valleys the following traits are deemed essential:
- Sound judgment (based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices)
- Quality of work
- Quantity of work
- Produces and oversees all event materials per marketing and communication guidelines (letters, invitations, posters, flyers, etc.). May coordinate further with Community Engagement Manager.
- Organizes and completes event mailers.
- Manages all event venue(s) and vendor relationships.
- Manages volunteer event planning committees.
- Orchestrates and executes event marketing and outreach.
- Submits quarterly reports to the Director of Development for presentation to Board of Directors.
- Catalogs donations in Donor Perfect and generates receipts.
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2 (Two) plus years’ experience in sales, events, corporate development or fundraising or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience using MS Office suite, with fluency in Word and Excel.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred but not required.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Possession of a valid California Class “C” driver’s license, must be insurable to drive a personal or company vehicle.
- Strong Oral and written communication skills
In Addition to Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- AFV policies and protocols.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize effectively.
- Goal setting and budget management.
- Ability to accurate work with detailed information in paper and electronic format.
- Experience managing volunteers is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of AFV.
- Ability to travel throughout AFV’s territory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary.
- Confident public speaker with the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with diverse audiences in both oral and written formats.
- Represent AFV in a professional manner in all situations with the public, volunteers and staff.
- Develop and implement new initiatives.
- Ability to relate well with all ages; strong interpersonal relationship and alliance building skills.
- Be patient, courteous and work well under stressful conditions.
- Superior flexibility and adaptability, strong work ethic; demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter, able to initiate and complete tasks, and to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working in the shelter environment and willing to accommodate animals in the work place.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Work is performed in office, outdoor, animal shelter various locations.
- Stooping (bend at waist)
- Lifting up to 50lbs.with or without assistance
- Lifting over 50 lbs. with or without assistance
- Exposure to extreme heat: Temp above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour
- Exposure to extreme cold: Temp below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour
- Distinguish appropriate temperature
- Exposure to hazardous materials in accordance to Prop 65.
- Hand/finger dexterity
- Repetitive Motions
- In accordance with AFV dress code policy, business attire where appropriate.
- Available to accommodate a flexible work schedule including weekends, evenings, and some holidays.
Receives general supervision by the Executive Director. Works closely with the Director of Development. Exercise direct supervision of Animal Friends of the Valleys volunteers through Volunteer Coordinator.